In addition to summer pack trips, customized trail rides, and hunting trips in the Swan Valley, our sister company, Swan Mountain Outfitters also has the exclusive contract to run all the trail rides in Glacier National Park. With over 14,000 trail rides a summer, we hire over 30 wranglers on a seasonal basis and have intimate knowledge of the most important aspects of trail ride/wrangler based operations. As a result of our first-hand experience in this business, we have developed our Wrangler Training Program to address the need for good base training on how to be an effective wrangler.
Wrangler School Curriculum
The curriculum for this course is composed of a variety of topics that we have found to be critical for our business and other similar businesses. These include the following:
- The Proper Tools – identification of key equipment, repair and maintenance, leather care and of course proper blanket/saddle and bridling techniques
- The Horse – overview of horse anatomy, behavior and socialization
- The Mule – explanation of how to interact with mules as well as key differences as opposed to horses
- The Daily Routine – overview of equine nutrition, hydration and daily care
- The Veterinarian – basic veterinary training on all aspects of equine issues and ailments that a wrangler should be able to both identify and treat
- The String – overview of the most common and effective knots as well as how to string and pony animals safely
- The Trail – hands on experience with proper trail clearing and trail maintenance aimed at keeping animals and people safe.
- The Trail Ride – riding techniques specific to leading trail rides
- The Guest – key information on providing outstanding customer service and dealing with difficult guests
- The Certification – all students will receive a certificate of completion for the course and additionally Wilderness First Aid Certification, which is valid for two years, upon completion of the course
In addition to a wide range of interesting topics and useful information, students of our wrangler school Program have two additional benefits available to them:
- Given Swan Mountain Outfitters’ unique position in Glacier National Park, we occasionally have the ability to offer positions with our sister company to a couple of students who complete our program successfully, and show that they both have the aptitude and skills to do the work for an entire season. We also reach out to dozens of other operations and will have a job board for additional wrangler positions that are available.
- All wrangler students hired on with Swan Mountain Outfitters in Glacier National Park who complete the entire season with positive performance evaluations, we will receive one third of their tuition back as a bonus.